Main
Charles Egerton Jr.
Born 1630 England
Died 1699 St. Mary's Co. MD

Go to:
Emigrant/Father
SPOUSE CHILDREN
Anne (Porter?) Godfrey


d. 1712
Arthur




Charles



d. 1705?
St. Mary's Co. MD
John

b. 1673?
VA

George




Thomas




Randolph




James




Mary




Charles married Anne Porter who was either the widow or daughter of a man named John Godfrey.
Charles received a patent of 400 acres on Gum Swamp in Princess Anne Co. VA on Oct 20, 1688, which was given "by Power of Atty. of sd. Charles and Anne Egerton to Arthur Egerton, their son", on Dec 12, 1694. This land was assigned to a William Nicholson on Jan 16, 1695.
St. Mary's Co. MD was established in 1637. It is the southernmost part of the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay, across the Potomac River from Virginia.
Now extinct, Princess Anne Co. was created in 1691. In 1963 it became part of Virginia Beach. Gum Swamp is within the City of Virginia Beach.
In his will dated Mar 11, 1699, Charles Jr. left to his son Charles "Piney Neck" on the Potomac River; to his son George, the planation at Pountney's (or Punctney) Marsh; and to his other four sons he left 2400 total acres on the north side of the Potomac called "Piscataway".
Grandson John Egerton Jr. was appointed High Sheriff of the part of NC that became Warren Co. by King William about 1739, according to James Albert Egerton in his History of the Egerton Family.
Sources:
Baker, Blanche Wilmot Egerton, comp., "Egerton Ancestry", Roxboro NC, 1946.
Culver, Francis B., "Egerton Family", Maryland Hist. Mag., v.35:292-302, 1940.
Maryland Calendar of Wills, v. 2:174.
Nugent, Nell M., Patent Book No. 10, Cavaliers and Pioneers, Abtracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, 1695-1732, vol. 3, Library of Va., 1979, p. 117.